Lebanon County Historical Society
924 Cumberland Street, Lebanon, PA, 17042
1758 – 1760 Inclusive date(s)
1758 – 1760 Normal date(s)
Sixty four ground rent deeds for lots in Lebanon, Pennsylvania issued by George Steitz between 1758 and 1760. Included is the name of the lessee, the lot number, location of the lot and lists of subsequent lessees.
George Adam Steitz claimed 313 acres of land along Quittapahilla Creek in 1737 and an additional 52 acres in 1739. The land was surveyed and warranted on May 19, 1753. Steitz began to lay out town lots by 1756. The lots were 60 feet by 192 feet, separated by streets and alleys and leased for a yearly ground rent of five or six shillings. Lessees were required to build a log house with a stone or brick chimmney. The town became known as Steitztown but was also referred to as Lebanon prior to 1760. Steitz sold his land interests including the town to George Reynolds in January 1761.
System of Arrangement