Lebanon County Historical Society
924 Cumberland Street, Lebanon, PA, 17042
1852 – 1859 Inclusive date(s)
1852 – 1859 Normal date(s)
Coleman, G. Dawson (George Dawson)
()Forney, Charles B.
()Hoopes, Maris, 1801-1878
Robert and George Dawson Coleman built the Lebanon Furnaces in North Lebanon Township in 1846. The furnaces were the first in the county to use anthracite coal and were supplied with ore from the Cornwall mines. Robert Coleman sold his interest in 1852 to his brother George Dawson who continued the industry until his death in 1878. Charles B. Forney served as manager of the furnaces and Maris Hoopes as ironmaster and agent under G. Dawson's ownership. After Coleman's death, Arthur and Horace Brock oversaw operations until Coleman's sons, B. Dawson and Edward Coleman, came of age. The furnace was purchased by the Pennsylvania Steel Company in 1901.
Scope and Content
Unbound copybook of letters received by G. Dawson Coleman from Maris Hoopes regarding financial and business concerns and Charles B. Forney regarding iron production at the Lebanon Furnaces in North Lebanon Township, Pa.
Related Archival MaterialsLebanon Furnaces Letter books, Forges and Furnaces Collection, 1727-1921 (Collection 212), The Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
Coleman Collection, 1750-1940 (Manuscript Group 182), Pennsyvania State Archives.
SubjectsLebanon furnace (Lebanon, Pa.), Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, 1850-1860